About Planning and Zoning
The Planning and Zoning Division is charged with management and coordination of the planning,
zoning and development functions of the City of Leesburg. The Division reports to the Director
of Community Development, through the Assistant Director/Planning and Zoning Manager.
Bill Wiley, AICP
The Planning and Zoning Division of the City of Leesburg Community Development Department
shall coordinate all land development activity in the City, responding courteously and
efficiently to all customer needs with proactive planning practices based on adopted state
and municipal regulations and statutes. The division conducts the review of new development
projects and renovations, reviews and makes recommendations for rezoning, conditional use,
variance, site plan and subdivision applications. These applications are reviewed for
completeness and compliance with the Land Development Codes and Comprehensive Plan. The
division also prepares and presents cases and requests to the Planning and Zoning
Commission, City Commission and Historic Preservation Board. The Planning and Zoning
Division addresses questions from the public and other government agencies about the
City's land development rules and procedures, assessing water and wastewater impact fees,
and distributes building and site plans among City departments.
Typical Daily functions performed by Planning & Zoning Division include:
- Assisting the public with questions on the use of land on issues such as zoning, land use, the city's Growth Management Plan, impact fees, historic preservation and the development approval process.
- Processing small and large scale Comprehensive Plan amendments to comply with applicable state regulations.
- Amending land development regulations for current issues and consistency with the Growth Management Plan.
- Reviewing applications for consistency with the future land use map and comprehensive plan.
- Reviewing site plans for consistency with City ordinances such as zoning and subdivision regulations.
- Coordinating redevelopment efforts in the Downtown Historic District with the Leesburg Partnership, Inc, Leesburg Historic District Task Force, and the City Commission.