LEESBURG, Fla – The City of Leesburg is joining with cities across the state in celebrating Florida City Government Week from October 23 through October 29.
City government is the government closest to its citizens. It is important for residents to understand how our city operates, the services it provides, and the importance of their active involvement. The statewide theme this year is My City: I'm Part of it, I'm Proud of it. To celebrate, Mayor Bone signed a proclamation marking October 23-29 as Florida City Government Week in Leesburg.
- Click here or the image below to view the proclamation.
WHAT MAKES LEESBURG GREAT - Video Clips
As part of the celebration, the production crew of Lakefront TV asked citizens and local government leaders to share their thoughts about WHAT MAKES LEESBURG GREAT. The following videos clips are a sample of some of the great things that our citizens are saying about Leesburg. ENJOY!
Video # 2
What Makes the City of Leesburg Government Great:
In addition to the proclamation, the City of Leesburg is also celebrating with a "WHAT MAKES LEESBURG GREAT" Photo Contest. The photo contest offers the opportunity to share photos that help to tell your story of why you are proud to be a part of Leesburg.
View the following Public Service Announcement to learn more:
Three (3) EASY Ways to Enter Photo Contest:
1. Visit us on Facebook @CityofLeesburgFlorida (#MyCityLeesburg). Then, click the PHOTO CONTEST tab on the left side of the page to upload your photo entries.
2. Visit http://leesburgflorida.gov/ or simply click the image below to view all of the contest photos as well as enter the contest.
3. Email photos to Derek.Hudson@leesburgflorida.gov. Include (1) your name and (2) a caption/filename for each photo that you submit via email.
Photo Contest PRIZES
• First Place: (1) An Annual Artist’s membership at the Leesburg Center Arts, and (2) A free registration for the 6 week class "The Artist’s Way, and (3) Recognition in the Leesburg Center for the Arts art festival guide as the first place winner with a biography
• Second Place : (1) An Annual Artist’s membership at the Leesburg Center Arts and (2) “A free registration for the 6 week class "The Artist’s Way” course at the Leesburg Center for the Arts
• Third Place: An Annual Artist’s membership at the Leesburg Center Arts
ANYONE can enter. SUBMIT MULTIPLE PHOTOS and enter as often as you wish.
The entry deadline is October 27. Encourage family, friends, and neighbors to join in! Then, be sure to VOTE for your favorite photos.
City Government 101
The City of Leesburg has a "Commission-Manager" form of government. In other words the set up is such that the City Commission comprises the governing body and appoints a chief administrative officer known as the "City Manager." Check out the following video to learn more about how local government works:
Leesburg is a progressive city of more than 22,000 residents in northwest Lake County. The city government serves twice as many people with its electric, gas, water, wastewater and fiber-optic public utilities. Leesburg also is a central hub for commerce, attracting 50,000 people to work each weekday. For more information, visit www.leesburgflorida.gov.