Date:  Thursday April 14, 2022 (04/14/22)

Documents & Links:

Additional Documents:

AIRPORT ADVISORY BOARD AGENDA
Thursday, April 14, 2022
5:30pm
Airport Administration Building
8807 Airport Boulevard
Leesburg, Florida

 

  1. Call to Order
    • Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance 
  1. Approval of Minutes – March 10, 2022 
  1. Office Use Agreement with Lake 100 
  1. Project Update
    • US Customs & Border Protection Office Interior Remodel
    • Main Ramp Resurfacing
    • FY 2022 Hangar Design
    • Fuel Farm Design 
  1. Airport Manager Update
    • City Commission – Airport Impacts/Issues 
  1. New Business 
  1. Adjournment

 

PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES NEEDING ASSISTANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY OF THESE PROCEEDINGS SHOULD CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE, ADA COORDINATOR, 48 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING AT 352-728-9740


Airport Advisory Board Minutes
April 14, 2022 5:30pm
Airport Administration Building
8807 Airport Boulevard
Leesburg, Florida

 

Attendance:                 Tweet Coleman 
                                            Byron Oldham 
                                            Alan Reisman 
                                            Bo Wroten

Call to Order

Chairman Alan Reisman called the meeting to order at 5:30pm.

Chairman Reisman gave the invocation and led the Pledge of Allegiance.

Approval of Minutes from March 10, 2022

Tweet Coleman made a motion to approve the minutes from the March 10, 2022 meeting as written.  Bo Wroten seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.

 Office Use Agreement with Lake 100

Airport Manager (AM) Tracey Dean said this is the economic development group that wishes to utilize the sunroom in the Airport Administration Building.  The agreement has a five-year term at a rate of $500.00 per month.

Chairman Reisman said after the last Board meeting he spoke to some Commissioners and they seem happy with this agreement.  The rent was raised $200 from the previous agreement.  He noted that having an economic development organization at the airport is a good thing.  He does not see any issues with this agreement.

Bo Wroten said the rent works out to about $11 a square foot.  He is not sure how that compares to the market, but is seems acceptable.

Bo Wroten made a motion to recommend accepting the agreement as presented.  Tweet Coleman seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously. 

Mandy Wettstein said the official name of the economic group is the Lake Economic Area Development Corporation, also known as LEAD.  She asked that the agreement be changed to reflect this name. 

Byron Oldham arrived at 5:33pm

 AM Dean said she will correct the agreement before it goes before the City Commission.  She asked if Kevin Sheilley should be shown on the agreement as the signatory for the organization.  Mandy Wettstein said it should be their Board president.  AM Dean said the agreement will be on the April 25th City Commission agenda.

 Project Update

US Customs and Border Protection Interior Remodel:  Jack Thompson from GAI said they are getting closer to being done.  The contractor will be back the first week in May to finish programming the security devices.  That should be the last thing and then they can start the process to close the project out.  The grant is set to expire on June 1st so they are requesting a grant extension just as a precaution to ensure they have time to get everything done.

Chairman Reisman asked if they have decided on an agent.  AM Dean said an agent has been selected and they have announced it internally, but they have not made the information public yet.

Main Ramp Resurfacing:  Jack Thompson from GAI said the project is underway.  They are working on Area A and are finding what was expected based on the geotech.  This area will get 6” of lime rock and 4” of asphalt.  When they are ready to move on to the next area they will let everyone know ahead of time.  He said this phase requires the most reconstruction. 

FY 2022 Hangar Design:  Jack Thompson from GAI said they are finishing the schematic design.  There were a few surprises.  There are some object free/safety area issues that need to be addressed.    They will have a design review with AM Dean next week.  Right now they are trending with the number of hangars that were shown in the planning level document – 7 box hangars, 5 maintenance hangars and 28 t-hangars. 

Fuel Farm:  Jack Thompson from GAI said they have finished the preliminary field visit with the subs as well as the inspection of the existing tanks.  The initial report says the tanks look good.  They are working on the white paper to lay out the pros/cons of using the existing tanks and location vs. the proposed new site.  Chairman Reisman asked if there is a timeline of when the plan will be done and the project will go out for construction.  AM Dean said once the report is done it will be brought to this Board for discussion and a location recommendation.  She will then meet with the City manager and decide how to move forward.  It should come to this Board by the June meeting.  After a decision is made on location, they will start the process for design and permitting.  That is estimated to take roughly four months including DEP and St. Johns permits.  Actual construction will depend on when grant funds become available from FDOT.  Moving the hangars ahead to the current year will affect the funding stream. 

Airport Manager Update

  • City Commission – Airport Impacts/Issues

AM Dean said she has no items.

Chairman Reisman said the Commission passed the TEEM properties lease assignment.

Chairman Reisman said on Monday the Mayor asked him if the Board would recommend that there be two waiting lists – one for personal hangars and one for commercial hangars.

Bo Wroten asked how it would be split.  AM Dean said for large commercial properties she has to follow the guidelines to advertise their availability publicly.  She is not sure a wait list is appropriate for those.  It might be possible for the ones we are planning to build. 

Chairman Reisman asked what she would recommend.  AM Dean said she is not sure.  As she has said previously, it has yet to be determined who we are targeting for these new hangars.  If it is going to be used an incubator, we need to determine how a business would graduate to a new space.  Historically, the corporate block hangars have not changed hands very often.  They need to define a plan and from that it might be appropriate to establish a wait list. 

Bo Wroten said there needs to be some type of list.  We know there are some local people who need commercial space. 

AM Dean noted that the airport Minimum Standards also come into play because they included space requirements for certain types of businesses.  Bo Wroten reiterated that there needs to be some type of list for people who want something other than a t-hangar.  He suggested that the deposit would be increased for larger hangars.  Byron Oldham said a list would allow you to gauge demand.   

AM Dean said she has a list of people who have identified that they would like a larger hangar.  The Minimum Standards are the governing document for the airport and they will preclude some businesses from going into the new hangars.  She noted the Standards include a catch-all provision for business types not specifically listed and whose requirements are determined at the discretion of the City.

Bo Wroten said leases should come to this Board to determine special exceptions.  There needs to be a list developed so people who want a large hangar are not holding a space on the t-hangar list.  AM Dean said that as she mentioned, she has a list now that seems to fit what is being described here.  She can make that a formal list and reach out to the people on it and require them to make a deposit if they want to stay on it. 

Byron Oldham made a motion to separate the waiting list into a storage t-hangar/box hangar list and a commercial hangar list based on square footage.

AM Dean suggested that the Board allow her to go back a rewrite the current waiting list policy so that it includes the new hangars as well as an increased deposit amount for commercial hangars.  She will then bring that draft document back to the Board for further discussion.  The Board agreed with that idea, there was no second on the motion and there was no further discussion on this matter.

Chairman Reisman asked if there is an update on the landside mowing.  AM Dean said she is waiting for procurement to move forward with that process.

Chairman Reisman asked for an update on the pond.  AM Dean said they are scheduled to start early next week.  They will begin by working to lift the canopy and de-moss the trees on the Wilco Drive side.  It will be done in phases.

Chairman Reisman asked when the work will start on the roof of the City t-hangars on Echo Drive.  AM Dean said they have taken a step back on this.  There were a lot of questions from the bidders and it was decided to cancel the bid.  Procurement had concerns about the bidders misunderstanding the full scope of the project.  GAI will be putting together new specs that should alleviate that issue and then it will be rebid.

New Business

There was no new business. 

Adjournment

Bo Wroten made a motion to adjourn.  The motion was seconded by Tweet Coleman and the meeting adjourned at 6:09pm.

Alan Reisman              
Chairman

P Hester                         
Recorder