Date:  Thursday September 08, 2022 (09/08/22)

Documents & Links:

Additional Documents:

Thursday, September 8, 2022
Airport Administration Building
8807 Airport Boulevard
Leesburg, Florida


  1. Call to Order
    • Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance
  1. Approval of Minutes – July 14, 2022 
  1. Lease Renewal Agreement with Michael R. Dominick for 8404 S. Hwy 441 
  1. Fuel Farm Design – Discussion and Recommendation 
  1. Project Update
    • US Customs & Border Protection Office Interior Remodel
    • Main Ramp Resurfacing
    • FY 2022 Hangar Design
    • Wildlife Hazard Assessment
  1. Airport Manager Update
    • City Commission – Airport Impacts/Issues
  1. Chairman Discussion Items
    • Airport Loss of Electric Plan
  1. New Business 
  1. Adjournment


Airport Advisory Board Minutes
September 8, 2022 5:30pm
Airport Administration Building
8807 Airport Boulevard
Leesburg, Florida


Attendance:                 Joel Hargis 
                                            Byron Oldham 
                                           Alan Reisman 
                                           Bo Wroten                       

Call to Order

Chairman Alan Reisman called the meeting to order at 5:31pm.

Chairman Reisman gave the invocation and led the Pledge of Allegiance.

Approval of Minutes from July 14, 2022

Bo Wroten made a motion to approve the minutes from the July 14, 2022 meeting as presented.  Joel Hargis seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.

Lease Renewal Agreement with Michael R. Dominick for 8404 S. Hwy. 441

Airport Manager (AM) Tracey Dean said the business in this building was originally “Lake Regional Urgent Care” (LRUC).  The business is now a medical office for “Total Rejuvenation”.  They had a lease term for 2007-2012 with a five-year renewal option that carried it to 2017.  A new agreement with Dr. Dominick was signed in 2017 that had a five-year term ending in July 2022 with one five-year renewal option. 

Dr. Dominick passed away in 2020 and his son, Michael Dominick, is the representative for the estate.  Due to the complexities of settling the estate, there was a short lapse between the expiration and the notification that they wished to exercise the renewal option.  There was never a lapse in payment and all rent increases included in the lease were applied appropriately.  All terms of the lease will remain the same.

Chairman Reisman asked if they are going to do something with the building.  AM Dean said she knows there is a lot of equipment in the facility.  It is her understanding that Michael Dominick is working with some of Dr. Dominick’s colleagues and they plan to continue working out of the facility.  He told her they have worked on some Saturdays.

Chairman Reisman asked of they can recommend modifications to the lease.  AM Dean said on a renewal option the lease terms remain the same.  Chairman Reisman noted that on this lease the airport pays for landscaping and he does not think that is appropriate.

Byron Oldham made a motion to approve the agreement.  Joel Hargis seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.

Fuel Farm Design – Discussion and Recommendation

Dan Nickols from GAI provided a copy of the final report to the Board members.  He noted that the report does not include a recommendation from GAI.  Since they will be doing the design, they did not think it would be appropriate for them to make a recommendation because it could be considered biased.

Bo Wroten asked why the report does not include any value for the existing tanks in the cost estimates.  He thinks they are an asset that the airport should be able to sell.  The revenue from that should be part of the cost estimate.  Dan Nickols noted that the tanks need extensive rehab.  In similar projects, the contractor has been given the option to claim the tanks as part of the bid process.  Bo Wroten said the cost for new tanks is $900,000.  He asked if there is a market for used tanks.  Dan Nickols said there is no warranty on the tanks so there is not much value to them because there is no way to provide a guarantee for them.  Bo Wroten said he thinks the value should be at least 10% of the new tanks, that’s about $90,000.  Byron Oldham said he agrees the tanks have some value, but understands why it would be hard to put a definitive value on them.  Dan Nickols said when they get to the actual design phase, they can include the sale of the tanks as an option in the bid package.

Bo Wroten said they had discussed a 20,000 gallon tank for jet fuel and the report shows 12,000 gallon tanks for both fuel types.  Chairman Reisman noted there are two options – one with the two 12,000 gallon tanks and one with the larger jet A tank.  There is a $53,000 difference in the cost.  Bran Sapp noted the extra capacity would be very useful 

Joel Hargis asked if temporary fuel tanks will be brought in if the option selected is to rehab the current site.  Dan Nickols said if the rehab option is selected, the plan is to rent temporary tanks and that cost is included as part of the contingency amount.  Joel Hargis noted the project could take longer than planned and the cost could run over.  Dan Nickols said these are schematic estimated.  If the project runs over time, the contractor would be responsible for additional costs along with liquidated damages.  Dan Nickols asked them to keep in mind that these are strictly schematic cost estimates. 

Joel Hargis said a fuel farm is an airport’s life blood and possibly its most valuable asset.  The current fuel farm location is a disaster.  He questioned why we would put a $1 million band aid on something that is 20 years old. 

Chairman Reisman asked AM Dean what she needs from the Board on this item.  AM Dean said as part of GAI’s contract, this is the first task.  There needs to be a recommendation of either rehabbing the existing site or building new.  If the option selected is the new site, there needs to be a recommendation for option A or B.  Once she has the Board’s recommendation she will meet with City Manager Minner to determine how to proceed.  He may take this Board’s recommendation to the Commission for their review or he may decide to have GAI proceed with design. 

Chairman Reisman asked what type of grant funding there will be for this.  AM Dean said it will most likely be an 80/20 FDOT grant.  She noted that because there is more involved in the new site (permitting, design, etc) the cost will be higher and they will need to ask FDOT for a grant supplement.

Bo Wroten made a motion to recommend a new fuel farm with a 20,000 gallon jet fuel tank and to explore the value of selling the existing fuel farm system.  Joel Hargis seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.

Project Update

US Customs and Border Protection Interior Remodel:  Airport Manager (AM) Tracey Dean said the final inspection is scheduled for September 13th.  She is confident the building will pass and they will be able to close out this project.

Main Ramp Resurfacing:  Dan Nickols from GAI said the project is progressing.  The contractor is back into liquidated damages in this phase.  They did pave some today and are planning to be back tomorrow.  They are scheduled to begin the next phase on Monday.

Joel Hargis asked for the project timeframe.  Dan Nickols said Phase A was scheduled for 30 days and it took 60.  During Phase B they made up 13 days.  Phase C was 45 days and they are now 3 days into liquidated damages.  Currently there is a total of 20 days of damages. 

Chairman Reisman asked if there is still a plan to do the path to the tower.  Dan Nickols said yes. 

AM Dean noted that they work they have done is very high quality.

FY 2022 Hangar Design:  Dan Nickols from GAI said they just had the 60% design meeting.  They met with the utility reps from the City and there are a lot of utilities in the area including a primary electric transmission line, a 6” gas line, reclaimed water line and three communication lines (two fiber and one telephone).  On Monday a company is set to come out and locate the various lines and verify their bury depth.  If they are too shallow they will have to be relocated.  Chairman Reisman asked who is responsible to pay for that.  Dan Nickols said the cost would be part of the project. 

Bo Wroten asked when the grant application will be submitted for this.  AM Dean said in the current year, FDOT has committed $1.29 million for the first round of funding.  They believe that will cover the site work including taxilanes.  The next round of funding is when the building will be started.  At that point, a decision will have to be made on which type of building should be done first.  Typically FDOT provides the airport about $1 million in funding per year.

Wildlife Hazard Assessment:  AM Dean said this project is funded by grants from both FAA and FDOT.  The kickoff meeting was held last week and included the biologist, trapper and tower staff.  There are several sites where observation will be done.  The biologist will be on the airport twice each month over the course of a year to gather data.  After that the assessment will be written and a plan developed.  The biologist will begin work on September 12th.

Bo Wroten asked if anything is done about getting rid of the hogs.  AM Dean said the trapper is continually working on that.  He is licensed to do this and has also worked with St. Johns.  He is documenting his activities and providing that information to the biologist. Chairman Reisman asked if we pay the trapper for this service.  AM Dean said the charge is $30 per hog.  

Airport Manager Update

  • City Commission – Airport Impacts/Issues

Lake County Sheriff Lease:  AM Dean said she has an update on this item.  They provided a new amendment that included all changes requested by this Board and the City Commission.  It will go to the Commission at their next meeting.  It is a 25-year term.  They will pay $.16 per square foot for the land and $3 per square foot for the building.  That is a discount of about 14% based on a fair market value of $3.50 per square foot.  It also includes an increase based on CPI every other year and they are responsible for maintenance. 

Bo Wroten asked what they paid previously.  AM Dean said they paid about $.12 per square foot on the land.  This lease has additional revenue for the ground lease plus the new revenue on the building. 

Chairman Reisman said the lease includes language that they are required to maintain the premises but if it is destroyed they are not responsible for replacement.  He asked if that means they do not have to carry insurance.  AM Dean said they do have to carry insurance but if there is total loss they are not required to rebuild.  He asked if that is standard language.  AM Dean said she does not know.  Chairman Reisman asked if they have insurance and the building is destroyed and they file a claim, who will get the money.  If they decide not to rebuild the city ends up with nothing.  He asked AM Dean to investigate this.  Byron Oldham said the City should have to be listed as a loss payee.  Chairman Reisman also requested that this item be tabled until this issue is addressed.  He advised the Board members that the City Commission will not have the minutes from this meeting before their meeting on Monday and said they should all reach out to their commissioners to talk about it.

Seaplane Ramp Stair:   AM Dean said the stair for the seaplane ramp originally did not have the ramp piece that is currently in in place.  It was added after the fact to help alleviate a trip hazard associated with the stair step.  She noted the dock was manufactured in Spain.  She had a dock person look at it and is waiting to hear back from him with a solution.  Bo Wroten said he thinks the screws are just too small and it can be fixed.  AM Dean said there is also an option to just remove it.  Byron Oldham asked if removing the ramp causes an ADA compliance issue.  AM Dean said it does not.  She will discuss options with the dock contractor and see what he thinks is the best option. 

Veriport: AM Dean said FDOT reached out a while back seeking airports to be included in a study for veriports.  She asked for Leesburg to be included in the study.  She has been notified that we are one of thirty airports selected.  She does not have a lot of information on it yet.  She does know there is no cost to the airport to participate in the study.

Byron Oldham asked if she has any idea what they are looking at.  AM Dean said she was simply told they are looking at compatibility.  Byron Oldham said this is a huge thing.   In 10-15 years, there will be a lot of affordable personal mobility options out there.  It is certainly something the airport should stay on top of.

Curry Lease:  Chairman Reisman asked if there is an update on the Curry lease.  AM Dean said she does not have it back from the attorney yet.  The City Manager spoke to the attorney’s office last week.  She is hoping to have it within the next week.  She will bring the lease and the design task order back to the Board at the same time.

Bo Wroten asked if they have agreed to all the terms.  AM Dean said they have met with him twice and there are possibly a few things that still need to be worked out.  She noted that she has encourage Dr. Curry to reach out to the Building Department so he will know exactly what they expect from him for the type of facility he wants to build.  AM Dean noted that Dr. Curry wants a shovel ready site and that will take some time since everything – road, utilities, permitting, etc. – will have to be done. 

New Business

There was no new business. 


Byron Oldham made a motion to adjourn.  The motion was seconded by Joel Hargis and the meeting adjourned at 6:24pm.

Alan Reisman                              

Pam Hester