Are you wanting to join our team? Police Department Application
Selection Process and Benefits
The Leesburg Police Department typically hires throughout the year based on the needs of the department. All positions are advertised in local newspapers although you may submit an application to the City of Leesburg at any time. The department holds testing as necessary to maintain a hiring pool.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE/ADA/VP
Entry Level Selection Process
All applicants must possess good moral character.
- All applicants must possess Florida certification to be a police practitioner, or be currently enrolled in a Florida Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission certification school for law enforcement officer certification.
- A completed application package consisting of:
- General Information
- Personal Inquiry Waiver (notarized)
- Certification of Understanding (notarized)
- Veteran's Preference Questionnaire, and
- Drug Policy Statement
- Take an online Post Officer Selection Test
- Oral interview by a panel of Commanders and the Chief of Police.
- A urinalysis drug screening test pursuant to Florida State Statute 943
- A Psychological Stress Evaluation (P.S.E.) examination of applicant information.
- A psychological test conducted by Dr. Vincent Skotko of Tampa, Florida.
- A physical examination by a medical doctor selected by the city.
- Probation: a. 90 days for evaluation of field training, b. 1 year probation with an
evaluation for retention as a merit position police officer upon completion of a background
The Leesburg Police Department encourages all qualified applicants to submit applications to the Human Resources department at City Hall. The City of Leesburg provides excellent benefits including:
- Starting Salary - $43,603 annually
- Insurance – Major Medical, with other optional benefit plans - i.e. Hospitalizations, Prescription, Dental, Life, Accident, Eye, Pre-Tax Exempt Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Time Off Accrued Monthly
- 10 Paid Holidays & 1 Floating Holiday
- P.T.O (Paid Time Off) Buy Back Program
- Retirement Pension Program
- Funeral Leave
- Free Employee Wellness Center (Medical Clinic)
- Minimum Mandatory Overtime Pay
- Computer Purchase Plan
- Wellness/Fitness Plan
- Shift Differential Pay
- Career Development Training
- Specialty Training
- Take Home Cars
- Promotion Opportunities
- Equipment and Uniforms Provided
- Overtime Detail Opportunities
For More Information, contact Capt. Joe Iozzi at (352) 728-9786, ext 3880