Property and Evidence Section
The Property and Evidence Section is responsible for the processing, maintenance and disposition of al property and evidence received by the Leesburg Police Department. The Property and Evidence section handles thousands of pieces of property and evidence each year. The section staff work closely with both prosecutors and defense attorneys to ensure that all evidence is made available in accordance with applicable Florida statutes.
The section also handles the storage and return of found and abandoned property. When an owner can be identified, notification is sent via US Mail to the last known address of the owner. Additionally, a monthly list of found property is published in the lobby of the Leesburg Police Department for the public to view.
Property is held for 90 days pending claim of ownership. Any unclaimed property is either transferred to the agency or another government entity for use, donated to charity, or made available for public sale in accordance with Florida law. Property of no appreciable value is destroyed.
Both property and evidence (once release is authorized) can be reclaimed according to the schedule below:
Monday - between 12:30pm and 3:30pm
Tuesday through Friday - from 10:00am to 12:00pm, and between 12:30pm and 3:30pm
It is best to call ahead to ensure the agency has your property and to schedule a time to come in.
You may contact the Property and Evidence Section by calling . Select Option 2 then ask for Evidence.
For specific information regarding the return of Firearms, please see below:
This section provides information regarding the return of firearms. The Leesburg Police Department utilizes the Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s Firearms Eligibility System to ensure firearms are returned only to lawful owners who qualify to own and possess a firearm according to Florida law. Please use this checklist and the attached Disposition of Firearms form to ensure your firearm is returned as quickly as possible. Please note that firearms and ammunition are returned separately for the safety of the public. Ammunition is available for return 24 hours after the return of the firearm.
Firearms returns are by appointment only Monday through Friday as designated in the schedule below:
Monday – Between 12:30pm and 3:30pm
Tuesday through Friday – Between 10:00am and 12:00pm, and 12:30pm and 3:30pm
Please call 352-728-9860 and request to speak with the evidence section to schedule an appointment.
Prior to your appointment to reclaim your firearm:
- You may download a copy of the Disposition of Firearm form using the link provided: Firearm Reclaim Packet.
- Fill out Section A of the Disposition of Firearm form. Please complete all blocks of information. Your social security number is optional.
- Answer all the questions in the Firearm Reclaim Eligibility Questions section.
- In Section B, sign and date the form.
For your appointment:
- Bring your signed copy of the Disposition of Firearm form.
- Bring your government issued ID card. If applicable, bring your concealed carry permit as well.
- Bring proof of ownership of the firearm. Proof of ownership may include:
- A copy of the bill of sale
- A copy of a firearms registration in your name
- A copy of the police report (for firearms stolen from jurisdictions other than Leesburg)