Date:  Thursday December 09, 2021 (12/09/21)

Documents & Links:

Additional Documents:

AIRPORT ADVISORY BOARD AGENDA
Thursday, December 9, 2021
5:30pm
Airport Administration Building
8807 Airport Boulevard
Leesburg, Florida

 

  1. Call to Order
    • Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance
  1. Approval of Minutes – October 14, 2021
  2. Project Update
    • US Customs & Border Protection Office Interior Remodel
    • Runway 13/31 Rehab (temporarily paused)
    • Main Ramp Resurfacing
    • FY 2022 Hangar Design
    • Fuel Farm Design
  1. Airport Manager Update
    • City Commission – Airport Impacts/Issues
  1. New Business 
  1. Adjournment

PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES NEEDING ASSISTANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY OF THESE PROCEEDINGS SHOULD CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE, ADA COORDINATOR, 48 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING AT 352-728-9740


Airport Advisory Board Minutes
December 9, 2021 5:30pm
Airport Administration Building
8807 Airport Boulevard
Leesburg, Florida

 

Attendance:                 Tweet Coleman
                                             Fred Griffin, Jr. 
                                             Byron Oldham 
                                            Alan Reisman

Call to Order

Chairman Alan Reisman called the meeting to order at 5:30pm.

Fred Griffin, Jr. gave the invocation and led the Pledge of Allegiance.

Approval of Minutes from October 14, 2021

Tweet Coleman made a motion to approve the minutes from the October 14, 2021 meeting as written.  Fred Griffin, Jr. seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.

 Project Update

US Customs and Border Protection Interior Remodel:  Jack Thompson from GAI said Customs has moved back into the building.  The temporary trailer is gone.  There are some security devices backordered that are supposed to arrive in January.  Nothing will be installed until they have received everything that is needed.  The outer perimeter is secure.  There is one inside door that needs some additional work due to a change order requesting different hardware.  All the equipment and furniture has been moved in and they seem happy.  We hope to have the project closed out in January.

RW 13/31 Rehab (paused):  Wilbur Mathurin from Hoyle Tanner said this project is still paused.  Airport Manager (AM) Dean has received word from FAA that they have finished the procedures they must do to allow the change from runway 3/21 to 4/22.  The contractor is scheduled to return to the airport the week of January 10th to restripe/renumber the runway and change out necessary signs.  There is also some tree clearing that must be done near the PAPIs.

Chairman Reisman asked who is paying for this part of the project.  Wilbur Mathurin said FAA will pay for the signs, but not for the paint.

Main Ramp Resurfacing:  Jack Thompson from GAI said they had the kick-off meeting with the contractor.  They will start no earlier than the week of January 10th.  It was stressed to the contractor that once they begin work they must continue straight through to the end of the project.  They will start on the area of the apron where the temporary US Customs trailer was set up.  He noted that as the schedule gets more refined they will develop exhibits showing what is open, closed, etc.   

Chairman Reisman asked if the reconfiguration of the ramp throughout the project will affect SunAir’s business.  AM Tracey Dean said the contractor has been told that tie-downs must be reinstalled as the project progresses.  They cannot wait until the end to go back and put them in.  Chairman Reisman asked how the jets that fly in will be accommodated.  Jack Thompson said the concrete apron will remain available.  SunAir may have some minor inconveniences.  He noted this section is a mostly mill/overlay, so the impact will be for a shorter timeframe.

FY 2022 Hangar Design:  Jack Thompson with GAI said the survey and geo-tech are scheduled for January.  The City Commission has approved the design plan this Board recommended that includes t-hangars, box hangars and maintenance hangars. 

Tweet Coleman asked for the projected start date.  Jack Thompson said the State should have funds in their FY 23 budget, which starts July 1, 2022.  They will probably plan to do the infrastructure first and then build the structures in phases – one or possibly two units at a time.  The type of building constructed first will probably depend on demand/need.  It will most likely be too expensive to try to build all four units at one time.  Wilbur Mathurin said he is currently working on a project at Flagler to build three 14-unit t-hangar buildings and the bid came in at $5 million.  Jack Thompson said there is quite a bit of site work that must be done.  The buildings will be pre-engineered based on specs that are submitted to the contractor.  He would estimate that the buildings could possibly be going up on site January ’23.

Ned Bowers from Skybolt asked how many box hangars will be built.  AM Dean said the plan calls for seven new box hangars and four maintenance/commercial hangars.  Ned Bowers said they need two box hangars for expansion and asked for the timeframe on the buildings.  AM Dean noted the new box hangars would be added to the current inventory of hangars the City leases.  There is a waiting list for those types of hangars.  If she remembers correctly, Skybolt wants to relocate aircraft out of the current hangar into box hangars.  She noted that they only recently joined the waiting list which currently has about 30 people on it.  She has no way to know exactly how long it will take for Skybolt to move to the top of the list because there are many variables in the process. 

Ned Bowers said he may as well make other plans if there are 30 on the list.  Byron Oldham noted that sometimes people are not ready for the hangar when they are called so they either move to the bottom or off the list entirely.  Ned Bowers said they just recently added five jobs.  They are growing and need to be able to plan.  If he can’t grow here, he will have to build somewhere else.  He missed one deal.  He has tried working with Kai Bogan for a hangar but it didn’t work out due to tax purposes.  He is trying to get a feel for the timeline.  AM Dean said she can’t move them up the list nor is there any way to know how quickly the list will change.  Tweet Coleman asked how many have moved on the list in the last 12 months.  AM Dean said in any given year since she has been at the airport, it has ranged from a low of two hangars to a high of six.

Fuel Farm:  Jack Thompson from GAI said they will start the work in January to determine the location.  The options will be either to rehab at the current location or move to a new site and build brand new.  Based on the findings from this process, they will start the actual design.  FDOT has funded the design and advised they will have funding available for construction.

Airport Manager Update

  • City Commission – Airport Impacts/Issues

Cracker Barrel Lease Amendment 6:  AM Dean noted that this Board had recommended that the City Commission not approve the proposed lease amendment/term that was submitted by Cracker Barrel.  The Commission agreed with that recommendation.  The current lease agreement allowed Cracker Barrel until December 2nd to formally advise the City if they did not want to renew.  If a notice to terminate the agreement is not received, the lease would automatically renew in June.  Cracker Barrel did send a courtesy notice in November stating they would renew under the existing lease terms.

Chairman Reisman asked if the grant that was discussed at the last City Commission meeting is the same one she had talked about previously.  AM Dean said she had mentioned this grant at a previous Airport Advisory Board meeting.  It is for $59,000 and is the third grant the airport will receive from COVID funds.  Chairman Reisman asked if there is a clause stating how it must be spent.  AM Dean said they have opted to spend it on operating expenses.

New Business

There was no new business to discuss.

Adjournment

Byron Oldham made a motion to adjourn.  The motion was seconded by Tweet Coleman and the meeting adjourned at 5:57pm.

Alan Reisman                        
Chairman


Pam Hester                             
Recorder