Date:  Thursday June 09, 2022 (06/09/22)

Documents & Links:

Additional Documents:

AIRPORT ADVISORY BOARD AGENDA  - AMENDED
Thursday, June 9, 2022
5:30pm
Airport Administration Building
8807 Airport Boulevard
Leesburg, Florida

 

  1. Call to Order
    • Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance
  1. Approval of Minutes – May 12, 2022 
  1. Consent to Sublease Agreement between the City of Leesburg, Blackbird Aviation and Executive Global Transportation Services, Inc. 
  1. Assignment/Sale of Central Florida Avionics 
  1. Review Draft Document - Corporate and Maintenance Hangar Waiting List Policies and Procedures 
  1. Project Update
    • US Customs & Border Protection Office Interior Remodel
    • Main Ramp Resurfacing
    • FY 2022 Hangar Design
    • Fuel Farm Design
  1. Airport Manager Update
    • City Commission – Airport Impacts/Issues
  1. New Business 
  1. Adjournment

PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES NEEDING ASSISTANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY OF THESE PROCEEDINGS SHOULD CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE, ADA COORDINATOR, 48 HOURS IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING AT 352-728-9740


Airport Advisory Board Minutes
June 9, 2022 5:30pm
Airport Administration Building
8807 Airport Boulevard
Leesburg, Florida

 

Attendance:                Fred Griffin, Jr. 
                                           Byron Oldham 
                                           Alan Reisman 
                                           Bo Wroten

Call to Order

Chairman Alan Reisman called the meeting to order at 5:31pm.

Fred Griffin, Jr. gave the invocation and led the Pledge of Allegiance.

Approval of Minutes from May 12, 2022

Bo Wroten made a motion to approve the minutes from the May 12, 2022 meeting as presented.  Byron Oldham seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.

Consent to Sublease Agreement between the City of Leesburg, Blackbird Aviation and Executive Global Transportation Services, Inc.

Airport Manager (AM) Dean said Hans Vosseler built the Blackbird Aviation hangar in 2014.  It has two distinct sides of hangar space and mezzanine space.  She noted that Mr. Vosseler is currently in Spain so is not in attendance tonight.  Dr. Wiley Graydon is present representing Executive Global Transportation Services.  The company is based in Casselberry.  They will be using the hangar to store their corporate jet and as office space.  The sublease has a one-year term with an option for purchase of the entire hangar in the future. 

Bo Wroten said he has no problems with the agreement.  He asked if it is possible for the Board to approve the purchase option now instead of making them come back in the future.  AM Dean said a sale would require an Assignment of Lease document to be approved, so it will have to come back to the Board should they decide to more forward with that. 

Fred Griffin, Jr. also said he has no issues with this agreement.

Bo Wroten made a motion to approve the agreements as presented. 

Chairman Reisman asked Dr. Graydon if he would like to tell them about the company.  Dr. Graydon said the company was started in 2008.  They broker everything from general freight to automobiles.  They ship over the road and have purchased a Cessna Citation that is used for small air freight along with business travel.

Fred Griffin, Jr. seconded the agreement and it was approved unanimously.

AM Dean noted this agreement will go before the City Commission on June 27th.

Assignment/Sale of Central Florida Avionics

AM Dean said Brian Sapp is working with Mike Noland to purchase Central Avionics in its entirety.  The lease requires that if more than 51% of the business changes hands, the sale must be approved by the City Commission.  Once the sale is final, all assets of the company, including the lease, will transfer to the new owner. 

AM Dean said normally a sale is to a different entity so names change.  In this case the sale is the LLC including all assets, so the name on the agreements remains the same.  AM Dean noted that the Consent to Assignment document does broaden the approved uses to include FBO activities.  Other than that, all the terms remain the same.

Byron Oldham made a motion to approve the Consent to Assignment of Lease.  Fred Griffin, Jr. seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.

Review Draft Document – Corporate and Maintenance Hangar Waiting List Policies and Procedures

AM Dean said at last month’s meeting it was discussed that we should create a waiting list for the existing corporate hangars and the corporate and maintenance hangars currently under design. She used the t-hangar policies as a template for these documents.  For these hangars she used a deposit amount of $500 as this Board had suggested.  She also included in item 3B says that any proposed business use would have to be approved and meet airport standards. 

AM Dean said she has an informal waiting list now with about 15 people on it.  Once these documents are approved she will contact each of them to see if they are still interested and let them know that if they want to remain on the list they will have to pay the deposit.

Bo Wroten asked how long she will give them to respond.  AM Dean said she will first contact them via email and give them ten business days and will also try to reach them by phone.

Bo Wroten said he likes the documents.  They are pretty much exactly what they talked about.  Chairman Reisman agreed.

Bo Wroten made a motion to recommend the documents be used as presented.  Byron Oldham seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.

AM Dean said she will get with the City Manager to determine if the City Commission has to approve the documents before they can start using them.

Project Update

US Customs and Border Protection Interior Remodel:  Jack Thompson from GAI said the final inspection is scheduled for June 27th.  He noted there are 15 cameras in and around the facility.  The contractor is accumulating the maintenance and operations manuals so they can be downloaded for GAI.  The contractor is also gathering all of the close out documents including Release of Liens.  When that is all done and the final payment has been issued, they can close this project out.

Main Ramp Resurfacing:  Jack Thompson from GAI said the contractor has finished work area A.  He thanked everyone for their patience and noted that it turned out well. 

He said CW Roberts is having a supply chain issue getting the rocks/aggregate it needs to make asphalt.  The quarry in Georgia where they get their materials is unable to ship by train right now.  For this reason, the next asphalt section is on pause.  As a result, the work schedule has been amended a bit.  Since there is no problem getting concrete, next Monday they will start on the four concrete pads in front of Firehawk.  A couple weeks later they will begin Phases B and C.  They will not be allowed to remove any asphalt until they have verified that they have the new asphalt to lay down in its place.  Their schedule still anticipates making up the days they have fallen behind.

Bo Wroten asked what assurances have been given that the quarry will deliver.  Jack Thompson said once CW Roberts can confirm they have the necessary material stockpiled, they will be allowed to move forward.  He noted that CW Roberts is not selling asphalt to other vendors right now because of this supply chain problem.

FY 2022 Hangar Design:  Jack Thompson from GAI said the change order for additional design services is on Monday’s City Commission agenda.  Once that is approved they can model the pond area and move forward with the preliminary plans.  They have several options to consider in that area including building a small retaining wall in the corner by Echo or shrinking the pond.  If they can shrink the pond, a wall might not be necessary which would be a cost savings.  Once they have the preliminary design finished they will go into final design and then figure out the bid schedule.  What exactly is bid will depend on availability of grant funding from FDOT.

Fuel Farm:  Jack Thompson from GAI said there is an extra inspection scheduled for June 14th to video the interior of the current tanks.  There was a lot of water found so they need to be checked for delamination of the epoxy.  Once they have those results they will be able to finalize the comparison of the two locations and issue the white paper report. 

Chairman Reisman asked if they just found this out.  AM Dean said they were hoping to present the final report today.  However, after the initial inspection, the inspector determined that it needed further investigation and he couldn’t schedule that work until June 14th.  Jack Thompson said there was a broken gauge that was allowing the water to enter.  That has been repaired.  He noted that the pitch is wrong so the water does not sump out as intended.  That is something that will be corrected if a decision is made to keep these tanks.

Byron Oldham asked if the water intrusion is a liability risk due to the chance of water getting into fuel.  Brian Sapp said it is not – they have been dealing with this for a long time.  AM Dean said she also asked about that.  She noted the tanks are double walled and the water is in the space between the two walls.

Airport Manager Update

  • City Commission – Airport Impacts/Issues

AM Dean said she has nothing new.  She does have some follow-up on the items Chairman Reisman brought up at the May meeting.

  • Sheriff hangar lease update

AM Dean said she received an email from their legal team today.  She may have a draft agreement from them next week.

  • LEAD Lease - Airport building improvements & LEAD requested items

AM Dean said this agreement is currently on hold per the City Manager.  Chairman Reisman asked why.  AM Dean said she was simply told to hold off for the moment.

  • Landside mowing update

AM Dean said she has nothing new from the Purchasing Department.  They told her to stay with contract services as need.  She has the mowing contractor scheduled for Monday.

  • Airport wayfinding signs

AM Dean said the Sign Department is scheduled to remove the old sign on Echo Drive tomorrow.  She is going to try to remove the individual signs and see if any of the businesses would like their signs as a keepsake.

  • Wilco entrance improvements/Pond

AM Dean said she spoke to the City Manager.  He has spoken to the Mayor.  As of right now, we will continue with the existing scope of services for the pond.  She is working with the contractor on coordinating the new plants and temporary irrigation. 

  • Airport badge machine

AM Dean said the replacement machine was delivered today.  She is working with the IT Department to schedule a time to come out and install it.

  • Roof bid package update

AM Dean said the Purchasing Department has gotten a quote from Johnson-Laux Construction.  They will run the job from start to finish.  They are currently under contract with the City so there is no need to go out for competitive bids.  The problem with the first bid process was that it was apparent many of the prospective bidders were seeing different issues and it would be difficult to get bids that were comparable.  Johnson-Laux will coordinate all subcontractors and pricing in one lump sum.   Their quote is just over $210,000 for the roof and C-channel metal work.  The agreement is on Monday night’s Commission agenda.  If approved, Johnson-Laux can begin procuring materials immediately so the cost doesn’t go up.

She noted she will need time to displace the nine tenants who are in the hangars, along with their belongings.  It is estimated they will be out of the hangars for about four weeks.  She is working with the City Attorney to determine the timeline for the notice she must give the tenants to remove their items from the hangars. 

Bo Wroten asked if the tenants will receive rent concessions.  AM Dean said she will not charge them for the period they are out of their hangar.  They may get a month free or it may be pro-rated depending on how long they are actually out of the hangars. 

AM Dean said it is possible that some of the tenants are not in Florida.  She is working with SunAir Aviation to find spaces for the aircraft to be tied down.  It’s also possible that some of the aircraft may need to be towed and she is working with SunAir on that also. 

Chairman Reisman asked if the City received bids back when this project was put out to bid.  AM Dean said the bid process was cancelled before bids were actually received.  Chairman Reisman said it would have been good to be able to compare those bids to the cost from Johnson-Laux.

Bo Wroten asked for an update on the proposal for Dr. Curry.  AM Dean said she met with him on Tuesday.  They discussed various terms and are not in agreement on all of them.  She spoke to the City Manager again and they are revising some things based on Dr. Curry’s comments.  Bo Wroten asked if it will be ready at the next meeting.  AM Dean said that is possible. 

AM Dean noted that at the last meeting the discussion included what the City might contribute to this project.  Dr. Curry has now said he wants the City to pay for the vehicle access road off Veterans Road and the taxilane from the hangar to Kilo.  He also wants the City to pay for any fencing.

Bo Wroten asked if he would build the apron and would it be built to our specs.  AM Dean said he would build the apron – it would be part of the requirements under the lease.  Dr. Curry feels the City should build the taxilane.  She is getting cost estimates for that.  She said they did split the parcel.  Each side is about 75,000 sq. ft.  Dr. Curry is pleased with the space and has indicated he may build a 60’x80’ hangar.  She noted the cost per square foot to Dr. Curry would now have to be at an improved rate because the City would be investing in these items so it would be more than $.16.

Bo Wroten asked about vehicle access.  AM Dean said it would be off Veterans Road and run along the back part of the parcel.  Only the portion needed now would be built and there would be a stub-out for the other parcel.  The taxilane would probably be built to serve both sides.  She needs to get the numbers for those items and they will get back to Dr. Curry once they have all the information.

New Business

There was no new business. 

 Adjournment

Byron Oldham made a motion to adjourn.  The motion was seconded by Fred Griffin, Jr. and the meeting adjourned at 6:04pm.

Alan Reisman              
Chairman

Pam Hester                   
Recorder